Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Michael: Go Short Old Man
Cool noon whisperings;
Close your eyes, lie still, enjoy
My soothing caress.
Sunday, October 15, 2017
This is an exciting and fortunate time for me. I’m recovering at the right time from a bicycle accident that could’ve been a lot worse.
It’s the right time because it’s October, the last month of the rainy season here. I just finished a series of ultras in the states and have months to plan and train for shorter events in the California this upcoming summer. So backing off a bit while I recover hasn’t hurt.
I’m fortunate because as I approach 60, I’m in excellent health and in a position to train and compete at a high level in my age group.
It’s exciting because unlike many events in life, I can’t rationalize putting off until tomorrow. By that I mean if I want to perform at a high standard in my new age group, now is the time. As the years pass I won’t be able to turn back the clock and ask for a do over. It’s now or never.
And that gives weight to decisions and makes training and competing more intriguing.
My plan is to hit the short stuff first; racing between a mile and up to 25ks.
I figure that way I’ll have a good year of form training under my belt before I tackle longer events the following year.
But maybe that’s backwards, and I’d be better off attacking ultras first then stepping into speed work. There’s only one way to find out and there’s also no going back. That’s why I’m really looking forward to turning 60 and discovering if I’m taking the right approach to competing in this new age group.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment