Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Michael: Cayo
Metal roof raindrops
Rise to a long crescendo
Before they're silent.
Thursday, October 12, 2017
One of the first cars I had was a dull green Nova. I’m not sure when I found out that ‘no va’ in Spanish translates to ‘no go’, but I’m sure I found that more amusing than Chevy did.
Since I’ve had my bike, a Focus Cayo, we’ve experienced three crashes together in three years, but it wasn’t until this last crash that I thought there may be an amusing link between my bike’s name and my high rate of crashes. Close but no cigar; in Spanish ‘caer’ is the verb to fall and ‘caido’ means ‘ I fall’.
However, while we were watching Seinfeld this week I noticed George talking about someone who fell and saw the translation ‘cayo’ in the subtitles. I looked it up and wouldn’t you know it, ‘cayo’ is the past tense of fall and means ‘he fell’.
Now that’s amusing.
If I were rich I might consider replacing my bike, but I’m not and the bike is a great bike, if not for the amusing moniker. But I’m sure next time round I’ll do a bit more research into any amusing translations of any bike I’m considering buying. At the moment that dream machine would be a Cannondale CAAD 12. Even without any translation the CAAD implies ‘cad’, which does have it’s own negative denotation in English, but for some reason I kind of like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment