Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Michael: Two Funerals


The two funeral
Processions move slowly pass
The gymnasium.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

I’ve seen more funerals pass me by here in Volcan in the past three years then I believe I saw in my whole life in Southern California. On Friday, while we were at the gym, we had the rare treat of witnessing back to back processions.

I’m not sure why most funerals seem to take place on Fridays. Perhaps it’s for practical reasons as it gives people a good excuse to take part of Friday off, so they can still save Saturdays for partying and Sundays for family and church. Kimme says this is being a little mean spirited and she‘s right. Last night there was one of those rare parties that went loudly until two in the morning so I’m writing this on a very sardonic two hours of sleep.

Regardless, all the funeral processions here in Volcan move from the main street out of town toward Cuesta de Piedra, which I know has at least three small burial grounds. But that would be a very long slow walk as it’s a good 9 miles away, so I’m presuming that once the outskirts of town are reached, either everyone hops in a car or there are closer cemeteries than just the ones I know of in Cuesta.

I suppose I could walk along and find out for myself; kind of Harold and Maude style, but I think I’ll just ask our coach at the gym next time we see a procession head on by.

Either way, it’s kind of quirky that while we’re in the gym trying to stave off the effects of aging and the inevitable that awaits us all, we’re privy to a lofty view of so many of the dead and their somber friends and relatives slowly passing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment