Monday, December 4, 2017

Michael: Healed?


Beautifully quiet;
The darkness of the morning
Is a surrender.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

It was exactly two months ago that I fell off  my bike and had to have 30 stitches to close the gash that ran from my upper lip up through my nose. The doctor at the time told me that it would take this long to heal. He was 90% correct.

Initially I thought it was going to take much less as the swelling all pretty much went away within the first three weeks and I pretty much looked back to normal except for a small scar above my upper lip. However some swelling inside my mouth and a lump in my lip and under my nose were still present. The swelling has now completely subsided but the lumps remain. They don’t prevent me from doing anything. I can now finally drink from a water bottle without drooling like my I had just come out of having a filling, and I can eat an apple again, though not with quite the uninhibited vigor I once enjoyed.

I’m hopeful that the lump under my nose will still slowly heal, but I’m a bit more pessimistic about the lump in my lip and though I had secretly believed the scar on my lip might go away, that’s not going to happen without further intervention.

Sadly, as a bruise to my ego, that doesn’t seem like it will be necessary. That’s because as I’ve been out and about the past few months and run into people I know, no one has said a word about my change in appearance, or even looked at me in a puzzling way. So either they never took much notice of my looks in the first place, or the scar isn’t as visible as I think it is. Regrettably, I’m assuming it’s the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment