Friday, December 8, 2017
Michael: Trials and Trails
Beautiful white sky
With luminescent blue holes
Letting in moonshine.
Monday, December 4, 2017
Due to various injuries and a long rainy season, yesterday was the first time in two months Kimme and I have run any single track. Boy, was it good to be huffing and puffing out there again.
For me, just about every trail run is both an adventure and a chance to test out either some new equipment or hydration/nutrition process. Yesterday I got lucky and struck pay dirt on both accounts.
On the adventure side, toward the end of my jaunt on the Baru trail, I heard a substantial rustling in the bushes off to the side of me and got a quick glimpse of a tayra, a medium dog sized all black weasel like creature. It’s one of the few large wild animals still hiding out in the cloud forests around here.
On the experimental side, I tested out a new nutrition snack; a bite sized peanut butter and jelly chew wrapped in a half of a small white tortilla. I took two with me wrapped in foil and ate one each the first two hours of the uphill run. I figured if they didn’t bother me on a hard uphill at the beginning of the run, I could start rotating them in on a regular basis on my long ride and trail runs. Success, no aches, no pains, no gagging or snorting, and no bonk.
One disappointment was my hardly used Nike Terra Kiger 3s. It seems the soft nubs under my forefoot are wearing far more quickly than I had hoped. I’ve only got about 100 mostly trail miles on them and I doubt they’ll hold up for another 100 without going completely slick under the balls of my feet. I was really hoping these would hold up as a trainer for the entire year, but now I’m probably going to be looking for a new shoe in a couple of months. They are very comfortable, but I’m sure glad I waited until they were on sale.
On the brighter side of the trail, Panama has invested in few new trail markers that should relieve some of the “Am I on the trail?” anxiety to any newcomers out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment