The Hummingbird Sage
Blossoms magenta and pink
Early in the spring.
Sunday, March 22, 2020
Since Christmas I’ve imposed a moratorium on buying anything new that wasn’t food. I spend plenty of money on myself and as a savings experiment, I thought it would be interesting to see what a three month layoff would do for my savings.
I broke down and ended this financial isolationism a week ahead of schedule; and this was only indirectly related to this virus outbreak.
Initially I was going to get my sister a nice birthday present (March 29) then go on a bit of a shopping splurge purchasing shoes, shirts, shorts and whatever else struck my fancy.
But because I’ve been laid off work it wouldn’t be very smart to shed a good chunk of my savings that way.
For the most part I’ve got more than enough to be comfortable doing what I’ve always done. But because I no longer have access to the treadmill (at work) I was using for speedwork, I’ve been puzzling how best to maintain that part of my workout regimen.
When we lived in Panama I ran on the airport runway and used the countdown timer on my inexpensive Timex Ironman watch to do sprints. I really enjoyed that workout. The runway was always empty and being basically a small private plane runway in the middle of a small farming community, it was in the middle of lush greenery as opposed to streets and concrete like the tracks I use to run on in the states.
Fortunately, we now live in Topanga just outside the State Park where there is also an pretty isolated stretch of straight pavement.
But unfortunately, my old Timex died and my current watch doesn’t have an audible countdown timer, hence the sigh of relief when yesterday I purchased another Timex at Runningwarehouse. I also bought an inexpensive tank top as a de-stressor and inhibitor from what will be a delayed and more austere buying party when all this craziness comes to an end and we can get back to the more mundane and harmless craziness of competing again.
No comments:
Post a Comment