Thursday, October 6, 2016
Michael: Where's My Limo?
The deep rose highlights
Under the dark morning clouds
Will soon wash away.
Wednesday, October 5, 2016
Currently I’m reading a book on Scribd about how globalization is exacerbating the gap between the rich and poor in many countries around the world. I don’t doubt it’s true, but again, it got me thinking about the differences between Volcan and Los Angeles.
I’ve mentioned before that helicopters, sirens, street lights, theaters… and many of the other accoutrements of big city living are missing from this small farm community. I’ve also noted that there are no homeless sleeping out on the streets here. But the other end of the spectrum completely slipped my mind until I picked up this book.
Outside of some very nice homes, though not of McMansion proportions, there are no signs here of the super wealth that is just taken for granted in Southern California. There are no mega sport cars like Lamborghinis or Ferraris screaming down the main drags of Volcan; no limos or chauffeurs in sight; no exclusive shops; no bling or high end fashion and definitely no paparazzi. Here all the big cameras are saved for the birds.
This isn’t a judgment on either Volcan or Los Angeles. Actually I’m kind of curious what it says about me that I hadn’t noticed this glaring difference until now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment