Monday, January 15, 2018

Michael: Dog Fight

Dog Fight: January, 11, 2018

Shadowy river
Snakes away from the mountain
And down to the sea.

January, 11, 2018

The worst thing about having a dog in Panama is definitely other dogs.

Very few people take their dogs out on regular walks. In fact many dogs here are chained up on very short tethers to their houses. Many others roam free and it’s hard to figure out if they have owners or are just completely on their own. The roamers are the problem.

We like to take our wonderful dog Luna on walks down the short country lane we live on. Often on these walks I’ll unleash Luna and let her roam free a bit which hasn’t been much of a problem until today, the very day I’m leaving to the states. Just what we all need.

Kimme is much more cautious and smarter than I. She never walks Luna unleashed. Sadly, I’m now strongly leaning in following that policy myself when we’re all re-united.

Why? Because for the first time in the 8 months I’ve been walking her I let my guard down at the wrong moment and had her unleashed when I couldn’t see three roamers nearby. There was a brief confrontation, but thankfully Luna only received a small scratch on her left front leg. Sad lesson learned. As much as Luna enjoys trotting, running and exploring, that’s going to have to be confined to our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment