Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Michael: Temperature-amental


Papa papaya,
A chubby little fellow,
Is a sweet softy.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Ironically, a few items I had shipped from the states to use in case the dreaded rainy season forced me indoors for weeks at a time, have, for various reasons, worked wonderfully or failed miserably.

An ironically wonderful idea was shipping my indoor bike trainer. But it’s not because of the rain; very few days here have seen enough morning rain to prevent me from riding on the roads. No, it was a late season multiple stitches required face plant that kept me indoors for two months. The first two years my trainer was kept in storage hi and dry out of the afternoon rain just like I was (almost always).

An ironically bad idea, it turns out, was shipping my 10 year old rowing machine. You would think rowing would be an ideal alternate indoor work out when the rains picked up, and you’d be right, but as the year progresses and the humidity picks up, the joints in my old machine balk so badly that the rower becomes useless for the last two months of the year. I do use it occasionally from January through October, but if I had known it was going to be so temperamental, I would’ve given it away before coming here.

When we do head back to the states, the bike trainer will make the cut. I find, even in great weather, it’s helpful to hop on it to at least keep an eye on my cadence and other small niggles that I loose track of out on the road. The rower, on the other hand, I’m hoping will find a good Panamanian home with someone who has the touch to coax it through the high humidity of the rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment