Monday, January 29, 2018

Michael: There's Always the Weather



The fall to the sea
From the edge of the night sky
Is the fate of all.

Friday, January 26, 2018

As I was standing chilled to the bone in the 40 degree and dropping conditions with the brisk wind cutting through me, I was once again reminded that Southern California does not have the best weather in the world.

To be honest, I haven’t lived in all that many spots on this big planet, but the last  place I came from, Volcan, Panama, I would say easily has Southern California beat for the bragging rights of the ideal climate. Not that California is dreadful relative to other places in the U.S., but the weather is simply more pleasant more consistently in Volcan. It’s where Goldilocks would choose to live if she enjoyed a good amount of afternoon rain half the year.

One thing I will say that I’ve really enjoyed the past two weeks since I’ve been back is the beautiful California coastline. From Volcan, the coast isn’t visible. And though the ocean is never that far away from any spot in Panama, at the coast it’s very hot and humid; not my cup of sweaty tea.

But even that’s a trade-off. I haven’t been in the ocean in Panama, but I have in nearby Costa Rica, and I was shocked how warm ocean water can be. I’m afraid I’ll be shocked again and suffer significant shrinkage the first time I step foot again in the beautiful but brisk waters off the California coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment