Wednesday, January 3, 2018
Michael: A Fan's Christmas Present
The dog settles in
During the warm windless day
For a well earned nap.
Monday, January 1, 2018
Yesterday, on New Year’s Eve, I followed the Vikings vs. Bears game on my tablet in what I refer to as pong football, since all I see is a brief description of each play along with small streaks of color indicating ball movement.
This year will be my 50th year of being a Viking’s fan. I was born two years before the franchise came into existence but don’t have any memories of rooting for the team until the year before their first Super Bowl loss. I figure that dates back to the 67-68 season. My mom was born there and brought me up as a fan.
Over the years I’ve thought of distancing myself from the game completely. It’s violence is really inexcusable and now with the incontrovertible evidence that it causes permanent, and in some cases, severe brain damage, I often feel a bit guilty for continuing to watch and root for a team that I once dreamed of being a part of.
But it does still intrigue me along with providing a long shared history of emotional memories with my mother.
I have decided that as soon as this year’s group of players dissolve as a unit through attrition and free agency, I’ll pretty much be done with the sport. But since this year’s Super Bowl is being played in Minnesota, and my mom and I and so many other loyal fans have our long suffering shared heart breaks together, it would be great if the team could give us the greatest Christmas gift a Viking’s fan could wish for and win their next three games which would include a first ever home team Super Bowl victory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment