Monday, January 8, 2018

Michael: Hay Un Raton en La Casa


The sweeping grey hair
Of the early morning sky
Obscures the green hills.

Saturday, January 6, 2018

We’ve had a few small uninvited guests in our three years of living here; slugs, ants, spiders, termites, crickets, and birds. But it’s not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Their visits are few and for the most part seasonal. They’ve never overwhelmed us or forced us to seek shelter. They mostly seem to just want to get out of the cold for a while.

Surprisingly, just a few days ago we had our first field mouse over. I’m presuming it’s still here roaming about. I haven’t seen it after it made it’s initial dash from the backyard to under our large living room stand, but Kimme saw it scuttling around the stove yesterday morning.

I’m hoping it’ll see itself out, but if not I’ll have to go to the net and check out “How to get a guest to leave without causing a scene.”

I was hoping our dog would sniff it out and get irritated enough to scare it away, but she seems completely uninterested and even, to my surprise, totally unaware of its presence.

Panamanians, at least here in the mountains, for some reason don’t use screen doors. Our little cabana, like many houses here, are designed to dissuade robbers by having the windows and doors protected by security bars, and we, at least, have screens on our windows that open. I suppose, the thinking must be that dealing with a mouse every three years are so isn’t worth the hassle and expense. We’re in the process of discovering whether that’s true or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment