Monday, August 3, 2015

Michael: Trepidation



The leaf cutter ants
Seem to enjoy the roses
Much more than I do.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Shortly after I got home from my bicycle accident almost two weeks ago, I ordered a new helmet, sunglasses and shorts figuring I wanted to lose as little training time as possible. Then a couple of days ago I received conflicting e-mails, one said that my credit card was declined and the other that my order had shipped.

I figured there had to be a mistake. Why would a company ship if the items weren’t paid for? I also figured that if they hadn’t shipped, I’d cancel the order and wait until I was back in the states in a few weeks to get my spare helmet out of storage. That would mean 6 weeks off the bike. And in a way that was a relief.

I know I’ll ride again, but the first few rides after an accident are always approached with a little trepidation. Yet I also know that extra bit of nerves is dangerous and that being on edge isn’t the best mindset to have in order to avoid the possible hazards of riding.

The package did ship and arrived yesterday. Now that I have a new helmet I’ll be back out on the road tomorrow. I’ll start back with some rides on less dangerous roads than the one I crashed on. I’m sure I’ll relax soon enough and get back out on the crazy road to Rio Sereno where I fell. But just like all the other places where my bike and I have separated, a nervous sigh of relief will escape me every time I pass where I went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment