Friday, October 2, 2015

Michael: Blueprints


This could be magic,
But that doesn’t mean we were
Pulled out of a hat.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

In designing our home, at first I wanted to draw up my own blueprints, but then I then I figured there are so many good architects and designs out there, why not give the web a peak at least for some inspiration. Also, if I could find a design close to what I like, it could save me a lot of hassle with having someone do the plumbing and electrical diagrams and all the other elements that go into a plan that I have no experience with.

I really like the plan #918-4 at houseplans.com. It’s very simple but modern and with just a few slight modifications, it will be pretty close to what I envision as a dream home.

For both reasons of personal choice and because of the way construction is done here, I want as simple a plan as possible. So I’d like to leave the shell of 918 intact but get rid of as many interior walls as possible. Basically, I want to divide the 1,000 square ft. into two equal spaces; a living area and a workspace with the only interior wall, outside of the bathroom walls, being the wall that divides the two. This would create a flat/artist studio space that has always appealed to me.

To further enhance that design, I’d like to go with a sloping ceiling of 18’ sloping down to 12’.  That would also allow for the possibility of creating a small loft space above the living area down the road.

For reasons of simplicity in design and to cut cost, I plan on all of the plumbing, gas and major appliances to be along one wall and for all the windows and doors to be standard and equivalent sizes, except for the large living room sliding doors and a sliding barn style door at the rear of the work space.

Financing all of this is another matter, but I’m hoping that we’ll be able to move on that front soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment