Friday, October 9, 2015

Michael:ESL

ESL: Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Solitude should be
As rewarding to the soul
As any marriage.

The ex-pat volunteer that asked if I could help out teaching Panamanians English gave me an update last Sunday. I won’t be needed this month, but in a couple of weeks I am going to meet the Panamanian teacher that runs the program. She’ll give me a course overview and I’ll  begin volunteering in March. That puts me back in a classroom teaching for the first time in over two years; very exciting.

I’m really hoping the interaction with these highly motivated Panamanians will help spur me to improve my Spanish. It’s surprising how little Spanish we’ve been able to get by with here. “ I’m fine. How are you? How much does it cost?  Bye. See you next time.” and a few other essential odds and ends have gotten us through living in a pretty small town in Panama for 10 months.

I know there are numerous benefits to learning a second language and I’m certain that it will expand my interactions with interesting people both here and in the states.  

No comments:

Post a Comment