Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Michael: Out with the Old


Only the bird’s weight
Causes the still branch to move
Like a metronome.

Friday, January 29, 2016

My Runner’s World training log ran out of space last Sunday. My last entry was a 21 mile road run, the longest road run I’ve ever done. Kind of poetic.

The weekly inspirational quote or nugget of wisdom under that entry is, “Rest is important to avoid injury. Also you need to balance proper nutrition, rest, and a good quality of life with hard training.” Cathy O’Brien, U.S. Olympic marathoner.

They don’t have R.W. logs here and I’m going to miss those quotes, but I was determined not to go without a training log, so it was off to the school store in Volcan to see if they had a workable 2016 journal. They did and, of course, it’s in Spanish, which is fine by me.

It’s set up slightly differently than the R.W. log and appointment journal I used last year, but a little change could be a good thing. For example, the two page grid at the beginning that lay out the months and days runs from Lunes to Viernes across the top but doesn’t say Sabado and Domingo at the end, instead it groups them together under the heading of Fin de Semana. That’s nice. The weekend should be thought of as one piece.

And instead of the weekly inspirational quotes or pieces of wisdom, it gives quotes from famous historical figures on Lunes, Miercoles, and Viernes. I doubt many of them have to do with running, but who knows. And with my limited Spanish, maybe I can kind of give them my own interpretation and slant them toward my exercise goal for that day. If not, at least it will give me a little extra Spanish practice.

Today’s quote is, “Nada nos hace mas felices que la contemplacion y el ensueno.” Auguste Rodan.

I think that means something like, “There isn’t happiness without thinking and dreaming.” but I’m going to go with, “Don’t even think or dream about not doing your tempo run today because you know you’ll regret it.”
I’ll look it up later to be sure.

It’s going to be a fun challenge to figure out what all these ivory tower types have to say about running. And damned, I didn’t know so many of them knew Spanish. Now I feel even more lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment