Run
Happy? Thursday, February 18, 2016
Feathering
its nest
The
bird is the architect
I
dream of being.
When
I’m competing I don’t imagine myself as a happy character. In fact, the
characters I’d like to emulate when racing are very determined, serious and
decidedly dark.
I’m
thinking Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven and Tom Cruise in Collateral. Those
characters are so grim you know they’re going to accomplish their mission.
It’s
not like I’m Tigger out there waving and bouncing and whooping it up either. I
kind of just keep moving along in pretty much a noncommittal trance like state.
But
it’s one of my fantasies to line up at a race and have someone say, “You must
be the Beck from Orange County.”
And
I’d pause then squint and say, “That’s right. I’ve raced women and children,
dogs and snakes and now I’m here to race you Little Bill,
Or
whatever your name is.”
Then
the gun would go off and I’d run off into the darkness.
No comments:
Post a Comment