Sunday, March 20, 2016

Michael: The Positives


Out running a jeep
Up and down a rocky jeep
Trail is quite a thrill.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The week before I DNFed at the 100k, I came in 8th overall and won my age group in a 5k race in Manhattan Beach. That was a very fun and positive way to discover that I’ve been able to maintain a semblance of speed as I’m aging.

And it was the first year I did spadework without a treadmill or track, so I’m patting myself on the back for my improvised coaching plan. That plan consist of doing short sprints on Monday up and down an incline for between 30-60 seconds with unlimited rest in between repetitions. I figured by keeping the intervals short and the number of repetitions to 12 at the most, this would allow me to use a day that would normally be scheduled as a recovery day to get some speed/form work in without overtaxing my weekend weary legs.

On Friday I do a hybrid interval/ tempo run. The intervals are a ladder 6-5-4-3-2-1 minute pick ups with half the time of the run interval used as the rest interval. When I’m done, I turn around and do a 6k time trial back to the start. This allows me to condense two workouts into one day and one hour on the road.

So far so good. I’m enjoying myself and the workouts are working so I don’t see a need to change this format in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment