Friday, March 25, 2016
Michael: The Seven Million Dollar Man
Cerro Punta is
Shades of green patchwork that climbs
The dinosaur’s back.
Monday, March 21, 2016
Friday when we took the bus to run errands we had our second run in with the 7 million dollar man of Volcan. He was sitting across from us when he noticed we spoke English. This provided him with a good opportunity to practice his English and to once again tell us about how he came to learn English, become a millionaire, then eventually return to Panama and live a simple life again in Volcan.
I don’t think he remembered telling us his story before and though Kimme says there were some deviations between the story he told us last time, it seemed pretty consistent to me. Basically, he was a heavy equipment operator that went to Canada for work. Loved it there. Made millions of dollars, but when it was discovered he wasn’t a citizen he was deported. He drove back to Panama, started drinking, which caused his wife to leave him. Either an accident or his wife leaving or both caused him to lose all of his money. But he’s not upset about it. He has faith and is not drinking anymore.
I hope somewhere down the road we’ll meet again and he’ll tell us his story again. He seems like a decent man and I like people with stories. Sometime soon I need to work on a good one for myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment