Monday, May 25, 2015
Michael: Friends and Neighbors
The tarantula
Is the warlock’s severed claw
Seeking his revenge.
Sunday, May 24, 2015
Yesterday we were in the company of good people as soon as we walked out the door.
We were up early to help clean up the nearby Western Trail with a group coming from Panama City. As we walked down the dirt road to catch the bus, one of our neighbors was driving by with his daughter in their old blue and white Chevy van. We’re always happy to see that van because our neighbor always has a big smile and warm greeting for us. He looks like the happiest guy on the planet. He’s also created a Shangri-la environment on his property. Their garden with the pond and small waterfall is just beautiful.
But instead of just waving yesterday, he stopped and offered us a ride which we gladly accepted. We were running late and I was getting a little grumpy because I thought I might have to forego my usual coffee and sweet. But our neighbor, Eduardo, as we introduced ourselves for the first time, stepped in to save the day. So now there were two happy men, though I know I’ll never be able to make a lifestyle out of it like Eduardo has.
When we joined the volunteer group at the parque we met Phillip and his wife. He is a member of the Volcan hiking club that we were looking forward to joining. We road with him to the trailhead and Kimme, he and I made it the furthest up the trail and formed a small sanitation sub group until we re-joined the rest of the volunteers on our way back down the trail.
He and his wife have been in Volcan for 7 years and sound like they really do what they can to see all of the beauty of this country. He’s offered to share his knowledge and help us discover new trails and adventures, like kayak camping around some nearby islands. Today he’s going to show us a new trail, The Two Waterfalls Trail.
The volunteer hiking group was a 50/50 mixture of about 10 men and women ranging from there early twenties to late thirties. The leader of the group was a very charismatic and easy going world traveler that I hope we have the pleasure of working and hiking with again.
For a loner like me, I was a bit surprised at how enjoyable a day I had. I doubt I’ll make a habit out of it, but I can kind of see why some people could enjoy this social thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment