Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Michael: The Light Show

The small green leaf walked
Walked silently away on stems   
Of  orange and brown.


Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Many websites, books and blogs say there are only two seasons in Panama; a dry and a wet, but that’s a very misleading simplification, at least here in the highlands. Early Monday morning was a prime example of what a meteorological freak show Panama can be.

At 3:30 a.m. I saw some flashing white lights through the downstairs’ windows. I told Kimme but she seemed willing to sleep through what might be a Martian invasion. At first she claimed it was my eyes. But when I insisted my vision, although fading, was not the culprit, she suggested it might be a passing dairy truck, cow transport, or some other working vehicle that comes by early in the morning. No, I insisted, the lights were too sporadic for that.

When she did sit up to take a look, she admitted that the lights were odd and that I, being the gallant male of our tiny cottage, should investigate. I did. It was an electrical storm producing flashes of diffused light high up in the clouds without any lightening. Back to sleep I tried to go.

Next up, just about an hour later the winds started gusting at between 40 - 60 m.p.h. This rattled our house and my nerves for the next hour. Winds like that were common in January and February, but fortunately have been few and far between since.

After only four months here, I’m doubtful the weather won’t hold any more surprises. I’m sure there won’t be any tornadoes or snow storms, but I wouldn’t be shocked if a decent quake rolled through or the nearby volcano rumbled a bit. And I am certain that saying the Panama Highlands has only two seasons is very misleading.

No comments:

Post a Comment