Friday, May 8, 2015
Michael: People
The clockwork ticking
From the rain drip, drip, dripping
Slows to a heartbeat.
Friday, May 8, 2015
After nearly four months here we’ve met a few people that put a little wider smile on our faces and extra bounce in our step every time we run into them.
First on our list would have to be Luzmilla, our landlord and neighbor. She is not only very responsive to any problems we have, but wants to help us and goes out of her way to make us feel welcomed. She takes care of us and is always willing to share information about planting or bugs or any other questions we have. On Tuesday when she saw me getting out of a taxi with a full propane tank, she wondered why I didn’t ask her to go to the store and get it. Now that’s just got to brighten your day.
Next up was our usual trip to the Mollek’s Panaderia where I can count on Melissa to steer me to the good stuff. When I use to ask for an item, she‘d shake her head no, indicating it was old. Now I just go with what she recommends. But Tuesday she wasn’t there and I ended up with a few very dry pieces of chocolate cake. Kimme stepped in and suggested to use them as biscotti and that worked. But very happy to see Melissa hand me a delicious, moist coconut pastry yesterday.
Right after that while Kimme started our grocery shopping, I headed to the bank where the guard told me about a bike race from David to Boquete - 80k - on May 17th. He keeps me up to date on all the local races.
Someone who doesn’t recognize me, but you couldn’t shake from your memory once you saw him in action, is one of the local bus assistants. He was holding a child’s hand; I presume his or at least one of his, because he’s the most flirtatious assistant of them all. He’d never make it for more than a day stateside, but I’m envious. I never had that chutzpah. I saw him while walking back to the store from the bank.
And that’s how our casual off adventure days go now at the tip of the rainy season here in Volcan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment