
Today there was life,
Dusty and red resting on
Our weathered wood bench.
Sunday, May 10, 2015
Every morning I walk out onto the back porch to see what’s belly up and needs to be swept away. Yesterday I was surprised by a healthy large moth resting on one of our old wood chairs. He sat next to me while I prepared for my ride and was there to greet me when I returned. I felt seeing him was a good omen and it was.
About half an hour into my ride a motorcyclist slowed and pointed down to the road. I thought he was pointing out an upcoming hazard; very courteous. The hazard turned out to be a tarantula the size of my open hand scampering across the pavement. I’d seen one a couple of weeks ago but it wasn’t in very good shape after being hit by a car. This guy was healthy and on the move. It was fascinating to see how such a large creature could blend into the roadside fauna once he had crawled just a few steps off the road. That was an early adrenaline booster shot.
Shortly thereafter I caught the best glimpse yet of the three buffalo some fortunate landowner has. I see them every Saturday ride but they’re usually off in the distance, or hanging out near some trees. Also, because the light is so bright when I see them and they are so shiny and black, it’s been hard for me to get a decent picture. But yesterday they were near the fence and out in the open.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get a picture of the last surprise of the day; a tayra sighting. I didn’t even know that tayras existed until I got home and did a little research. All I knew at the moment was a very sleek black animal between the size of a large cat and a medium sized dog with a long straight bushy black tail had jogged across the road in front of me. Tayras are gorgeous, even if they are part of the weasel family. They’re only the third large wild animal I’ve seen out here. I’ve seen wild boars once and their scat often. I’ve seen howler monkeys high up in the canopy, but get to hear their raspy threats almost weekly. And now I can add a tayra to the list.
I’m not sure what else is out there or when we’ll bump into each other. But when we do there will be that exhilarating moment where we both hesitate for an instant to figure out how we will react. It’s at these times I realize I’m no Zen Master and am not one with the universe. In fact I have the distinct feeling that the universe is hiding in the shadows and ready to pounce.
No comments:
Post a Comment