Friday, January 29, 2016

Michael: Another Long Experiment


Sparkles of mist drift
Through the random beams of light
And mottled gray skies.

Monday, January 25, 2016

Yesterday, the 21 mile run was the longest road run I’ll do before next month’s races in the states and it was another great opportunity to throw in some variables and see how they worked. I was even fortunate enough to have the weather cooperate by mixing it up with strong gusts of wind and a steady drizzle. Never know what race day will be like at the end of February in So. Cal.

The experimentation actually started on Wednesday when I began to fatigue my legs for Sunday’s long run. Wednesday we did a two hour trail/road run. Thursday was a 2 hour bike ride with some decent climbs. Friday was the usual 9 mile interval run and Saturday was a 2 ½ hour challenging bike ride. That felt adequate enough to start Sunday’s run nice and tired. In fact if it wasn’t for Kimme’s nudging I’m not sure when I would’ve made it out the door.

I know runners in the states that train by doing hard back to back runs on Saturday and Sunday to prepare for an utltra, but I just feel that would beat my body up too much, so I prefer to do a ride on Saturday followed by a run on Sunday. It’s just more enjoyable for me even if it doesn’t quite replicate the same fatigue as back to back long runs.

On mornings before long rides or runs I’ve been throwing in a few extra calories to see how that sits on my stomach and so far so good.  Before yesterday’s run, along with my usual granola, banana and several cups of coffee, I threw in a Reese’s Nutrageous bar. Damned tasty and no stomach issues during or after the run. Ah, experimentation can have it’s rewards.

On the run nutrition was my usual mixture of honey, sugar and peanut butter in a 5 oz flask. I took a little swig every half an hour. I also took a salt tab every hour. Everything went fine. I won’t have the home brew for the race, but Honey Stinger gels will be available and I’ll have GU and salt tabs on hand. Not sure yet what solid fuels I’ll have in the tent, but I’m sure Baby Ruth’s and Reeses will be available at the gas station quicky marts, if I need to stock up.

I used my Osprey Rev 1.5 pack for water and I’ll start with that on my back for the 100k race. That way I can wear a headlamp around my waist since the race starts in the dark and I prefer the light at my waist as opposed to my head.

I have a couple of Injinji socks that I rarely wear, but gave them a try and was pretty pleased. So that complicates race day sock decisions.

And I discovered that my Cannondale windbreaker is exactly that, which is fine but I was hoping for a little drizzle protection, but it soaked through within minutes. Not the jacket’s fault. Just a live and learn opportunity for me.

The home made two-in-one shorts I made from a pair of old very short race shorts which I cut the lining out of worked great. Not only can I pair them with whatever race underwear I prefer (yesterday, an old pair of 2XUs that are very comfortable), but now I can cover up on the bus here, which sometimes can get very crowded and have me standing with my naughty bits very close to a woman’s or child’s face if I’m happen to be wearing running tights. Now I can slip these running shorts over tights and not worry about offending anyone.

I held a 10 minute per mile pace for the run which is exactly what I wanted to do, and though I was pretty fatigued at the end, nothing was hurting. I’m still doubtful as to how I’ll do come race day, but the test runs have gone well and I’m looking forward to going out there injury free and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment