Friday, January 1, 2016

Michael: Where am I?


The caterpillar
Was as long as my finger
But much more agile.

Monday, December 28, 2015

Hiking off trail for 10 ½ hours yesterday opened my eyes to a few truths:

1. I don’t have the skill set required to do any substantial off trail hiking. Not that I think there’s anything magical about it, but I am puzzled by how someone points to a peak in the morning, gets there, then turns around and got us back to where we started.

Maybe if a good portion of the hike was out in the open, I would’ve been able to understand the topography of what we were doing, but we were under a dense forest canopy for a substantial time and the only way I had any idea of what was going on was that we were climbing and that there were two guys with machetes in front of me making it possible for me to climb.

2. Staying on my feet for a rugged adventure outside is a good indicator that I’ll be able to complete the 100k I’m aiming for in a couple of months. It wasn’t trail running, but it was a grueling all day affair and though fatigued, I wasn’t completely exhausted by the experience. During the race, I’ll be on a well marked trail with provisions available less than every 4 miles. Piece of cake.

Now about that piece of cake. We were going to go out to eat after the hike yesterday, but we were too wet and tired, but breakfast today is on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment