Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Michael: Considerations
The horse’s rasping
Scream pierced the early morning
Darkness with horror.
Friday, January 8, 2016
What factors go into choosing a race? In no particular order of importance, here’s a list of considerations that go through my mind when scrolling through a race website like Raceplace.com.
Interests: I ride and run, so unless a triathlon includes a duathlon, what’s the point?
Abilities: Well, maybe if the triathlon is a reverse triathlon with an 800 meter pool swim at the end.
Costs: Of course, of the race itself, but all the associated cost like air fare, hotels, meals…
Location: Is it at a place I haven’t been to that sounds intriguing? Is it conveniently nearby therefore saving time and money in travel costs?
I won’t camp before a race. If a decent hotel isn’t nearby, forget it.
Conflicts: Does it conflict with another race or commitment or doesn’t work with my training schedule?
Conditions: No ice or sizzling feet, thank you.
Race Director: Have I run other races put on by this person or group and was it well organized and an enjoyable experience?
There are a few race directors that recognize me and ask about my experience at their races, and I really appreciate that and yes, it does incline me to sign up for their races.
Unique: I have worn a costume, but I don’t see that as a draw. I’m looking more toward doing a Grand Fondo that has a KOM, or the mardi gras that Bay to Breakers is suppose to be. I prefer seeing others in costume, or sans running attire entirely. I know, it’s probably mostly unattractive hairy dudes, but don’t spoil it for me.
History: I’ve done the race about every year so why not? It’s a good measure of my progress. Hell, I’ve done that race just about every year and my times keep getting slower, so why not do this other race that I’ve always wanted to do this year instead?
Size: I use to do the Dana Point Turkey Trot every year, but it got so big that wading through the crowd so I could actually run half of the 10k was becoming tedious. On the other hand, if I could get an age group seated slot at the front of Bay to Breakers, I’d sign up, then after the race walk back through the craziness to take it all in at a leisurely pace.
Competition: Is Ron or Eric going to be there?
Other Participants: My wife really wants to do it, so since I’ll be there anyway…
Word of Mouth: All right, friend. I’ll do it.
Date: I’m in town then, it’s a short race, it’ll break up the monotony of training, so why not?
Distance: Between a mile and 100k and I’ll look it over.
Prestige: It’s a championship, or a championship qualifier. That draws my attention.
Challenge: Hmmm, I’ve never done a 100k before. That’s not that much further than a 50 miler.
Surface: Over the same distance, I’ll sign up for the trail race over the road race.
Sponsorship: My sponsor wants me to do the race. Right now that’s not a consideration since I don’t have any, but there’s always hope.
Am I missing anything?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment