Sunday, January 24, 2016

Michael: Pack Your Bags


A wall of green limbs
Line the road up the mountain
Daring me to climb.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Now that we’ve been living here for exactly one year, I have a very good idea of what’s needed here to live comfortably. I’ll start with clothes and I’ll start clothes with tops.

First off, let me specify this is attire that’s appropriate for the Panama Highlands. It’s always between 50-80 degrees here. In the rainy season between May and October, yes it rains; every afternoon. The days usually heat up quickly and by 9 at the latest, I’m in short sleeves. Once the sun sets, it cools but it’s rarely cold enough at night that I need to put on a sweatshirt if I‘m inside. There are no concert halls or grand museums so unless you’re going to church or a wedding, you can leave the formal wear off the checklist.

I’ll start with the tops I have on right now. It’s early morning so I’m wearing my house t-shirt and a hoodie to take the nip out of the morning chill.
Once I’m out and about I’ll wear a running shirt, usually short sleeve, but if I’m going to get an early start or I’m trail running, I might opt for a long sleeve or a short sleeve with arm warmers. The sleeves are more to protect against bugs and the sun as they are for warmth. And don’t worry about the arm sleeves looking out of place. Many workers here wear them all day because they protect them while they work in the fields, so you’ll blend right in.

I have a short sleeve button travel shirt from O.R. that I use as my banking and get together shirt. Throw in a windbreaker and a rain jacket or poncho and that’s all the tops you need. Not a bad idea to have a spare of each so that brings the list to 2 - comfy house tees, 2 - short sleeve t-shirts, 2 - long sleeve t - shirts, 2 - button shirts, 2 - sets of arm sleeves,  a hoodie, a windbreaker and a rain jacket or poncho.

I’ll unpack the rest of the wardrobe box tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment