Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Michael: The Alpha 2


The cows butting heads
With open fields underfoot
Neither yielding ground.

Monday, February 13, 2017

There was quickly a bit of irony involved in my first run with my new Ultra Aspire Alpha 2 pack.

Within a quarter of a mile from the beginning of the single track section of the Quetzal trail I came upon a family of about 6 wild boar, the dominant male having very large and distinct curved tusks. I stopped and if the “Alpha” pack was so named because of the assurance its moniker bestowed upon me of my pre-eminent position in the wilderness, it was a complete failure.

Fortunately, the family split in two and bolted off on either side of the trail allowing me to pass with only a scary grunt of inconvenience.

Outside of it’s lack of buttressing my manly resolve, the pack worked. It isn’t flawless, but it is a very comfortable pack that is a worthy replacement for the Gregory Tempo pack that was taken from my not so secret cache spot a few weeks ago.

Was there anything wrong with the Tempo that required its replacement? No. It’s a great pack. But I got it on sale so I looked to see what other packs in its range were on sale. I also  like to try new things, particularly from companies I’ve had positive experiences with in the past. I’ve had a few Ultra Aspire packs that I’ve been pleased with, so when I saw the Alpha 2 on sale at Running Warehouse I did some research and decided to give it a go.

First off, the pack is advertised as a racing pack; I take it as an ultra racing pack given its large two liter bladder and ample storage pockets. I see it as a 4-6 hour training pack and for that reason some of the racing features are actually more of a detriment than a plus.

For example, the magnet closures on the stretch pocket in the back are not as secure as zippers or snaps would be. Also, I’m limber enough to touch my hands behind my back but can’t really use the back pocket without stopping and removing the pack. Even on the Ultra Aspire website Bryan Thatcher, the designer of the pack, has his model turn around while he removes a puffy jacket. If it were so simple to use on the run, let alone standing still, I figure he would’ve had the model demonstrate this feature. Besides, taking a few seconds to stop and pull out or stuff in a jacket or whatever isn’t going to cost most of us a place in an ultra. I feel features like this are mostly psychological and not practical.

Also, if they had so much faith in the magnet feature why didn’t they use it to secure the bladder hose on the front of the pack? My Osprey has that feature and it works great. Instead, the Alpha 2 uses a plastic clip feature that’s not a problem but not quite as simple as a strong magnet is.

Just another minor nit pick… The bungee cord in the back not only serves as jacket storage but is also advertised as a way of cinching down a shrinking bladder and further enhancing the comfort of the pack. Yes, it works. But again, because of the location of the pull at the top instead of the bottom of the pack, this isn’t so easy to use on the run or without removing the pack. That’s not a problem for me. Even in a race I wouldn’t see it as a reason to get flustered while stopping and gathering my thoughts or repositioning supplies to take a second to remove the pack and cinch down the cord in the back.

Otherwise, it’s an extraordinarily comfortable pack. The two sternum straps that stretch while you breathe hold the pack firmly in place. One of the large mesh pockets easily held my 5 oz flask and a bar, while the other held my phone, I.D. and some cash. I tested out the salt tab magnet pocket and after two hours of sweaty running, my Saltstick chewables were high and dry. I used the other small zipper pocket in front for my keys.

In back I had a liter and a half of water in the 2 liter bladder. I did replace the push/pull hose with the a twist on/off version because I’m use to it and like it. Maybe the push/pull isn’t a problem. I’m sure I’ll give it a go one of these days.

In the stretch pocket I had a small first aid kit and a windbreaker. It does seem like it could hold a bit more comfortably, perhaps a small water filter if need be, and that, along with a bit more nutrition, would be about all I figure I’d need for a long day’s fast pack journey.

Oh, and of course, I like the green trim on my medium size pack. Goes with my motto: Just because you’re not fast doesn’t mean you can’t look fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment