Thursday, February 2, 2017

Michael: Unexpected Company


Golden retriever \
Formed a hunting pack with me
And we chased squirrels.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The vast majority of dogs here are not my best friends. Half of them ignore me while the other half threaten to assault me. Today was different.

Today I went out exploring on a farm road to see if I could make a long loop run. The farm road starts right after crossing Volcan’s rarely used airstrip and heads toward one of the tourist spots around here known as the Lagunas.

As soon as I crossed the airstrip a spry golden retriever came bounding my way. I could tell from his body language that he wasn’t going to threaten me at all and seemed like he was happy to have some one to run with and possibly head off into the bushes to hunt squirrels with.

The dog stayed with me for the entire farm road. Well over an hour’s worth of warm weather running. He even continued to run with me on the road for a couple of miles until he met three other dogs and decided the hell with me.

At first I was worried about this dog running for so long without water, but that notion changed pretty quickly after I stumbled and did a 9.5 point shoulder roll that left me with only a few nicks on my knees. But, Ironically, the roll over also caused a small nick in one of the goofy seams in my Osprey pack bladder which then put me in the same position as the dog as far as water goes.

I say ironically not only because now neither of us had water but because this was the second time in a week that I was doing a very long run without water for the second half of the journey. Sunday my entire pack was taken from my stash spot. Today, at least I still have the pack, and should be able to patch the bladder. It’s busted at a seam before and a bicycle patch did the job.

It’s also Ironic because toward the end of the run there were a few streams by the road and my golden companion could bound off and drink while I was left high and dry.

I’m not very keen on running with most people but I’ve got to say I can understand why people enjoy having a dog to run with. It was very comforting to have this silent partner looking out for me. I’m not going to get one, but I’d be very happy if I met up with this retriever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment