Thursday, February 9, 2017

Michael: Buffed Trails


Battered butterfly
Is pushed recklessly by winds
It doesn’t control.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

It’s been two years since I’ve done a trail race on a buffed out trail. Next month that’s going to come to an end when I run in the Valencia 50k near Santa Clarita, Ca.

You would think the opportunity to return to the milder trails of L.A. would bring a sigh of relief and expectation of a much easier go of it, compared to the rocky, rooty, gushy and difficult trails I’ve been training on in Panama. But that isn’t necessarily the case. Here, I step carefully. In L.A. without those worries, will I be able to step lively?

I have been doing road work with some intervals and speed runs both to prepare for the occasional road races here, but also in anticipation of some summer trail races in the states. This race in late March should be a good test to see how wise I’ll be able to play with the tachometer in conditions I haven’t been in in a while.

Speed is one thing. Gauging how to use pacing over 4 hours is another. Lately I’ve been able to gain confidence that I can stay out there for over 7 hours, but now can I gear it up a notch on easier trails and use all the fuel in the tank to bring the old jalopy across the finish line between 4-5 hours? It’s a little nerve wracking thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment