Monday, November 9, 2015

Michael: Concessions


The warm afternoon
Ends with the beginning of
A gentle drizzle.

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Kimme and I listen to a lot of pod casts about running and almost all of them suggest that as an older athlete, I should strongly consider doing less and getting more rest.

Though, honestly, many of the coaches we’ve listened to are advising younger athletes as well to tone it down and consider working out an 80/20 split. The 80 being 80% light and the 20 being 20% intense. While I’m begrudgingly beginning to feel there may be something to this “rest” concept, intuitively I know I’m not ready to go to the 80/20 extreme.

But I have started to take it easy on Monday and Tuesday and not ride or run, and I do feel a lot more spry on Wednesday trail outings.

Even on my long Sunday road runs, I’m trying to tone it down and consider the advice of running at a conversational pace. I suppose, since I’ve pretty much run by myself all my adult life, I could draw a face on my hand and talk to it as I run. I don’t want to look like an idiot just babbling to myself out there. Is there a company marketing blow up running partners? You can’t just slap on a pair of shorts on those erotic dolls. Their form would look terrible and again everyone would think I was semi-insane.

This age thing is baffling. I don’t like the concept of needing extra rest as I get older. That sounds so geriatric. But I am willing to concede that  scheduling in some extra rest is improving my performances during hard workouts and brightening my mood when it comes time to gear up and get out the door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment