Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Michael: Another Small Step


The absence of clouds
In the morning leaves the sky
An empty canvas

Thursday, December 3, 2015

On Tuesday we went back to Banistmo to try yet again to open a checking account. An account at Banistmo won’t lead to a construction loan, but it’ll at least stop the slow bleeding of debit card transaction fees, allow us to apply for a credit card and possibly an auto loan in six months, and proves that working with banks in Panama is possible.
According to Berenice, the bank representative we met with, our paperwork was in order, but unfortunately her computer was down so we’d have to come back.

Wednesday we did. Berenice wasn’t there. The lady who initially assisted us said we were good to go so long as we had the required $1,000. We didn’t. Both yesterday and the week before we were told $300 would suffice so that’s what we had on us. I told her this and she had us go to another representative, Lewis. Lewis seemed like a decent enough young dude but last time I dealt with him he kept going to Berenice until she said we needed a letter from our lawyer. Without Berenice there, I wasn’t sure how he’d deal with us this time around.

But he actually took us through the nearly two hour process of filling out the paperwork and getting us a checking account. Our checks and debit card should be at the bank in ten days.

I’m hesitant, but I do feel it’s worth at least a small leap in the air and quick clicking of the heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment