Friday, December 4, 2015
Michael: Independence Day
The morning wind and
Sporadic tap of warm rain
Usher in summer.
Sunday, November 29, 3015
Yesterday was Independence Day from Spain here in Panama. Buses of school marching bands from all over the region came to Volcan to wait their turn to march down the main street. The bands are comprised of two sections; an all female majorette section that leads out the mixed gender band. The marching went on from 10 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon nonstop.
After that there is an amusement park and dancing. And then after that, just like in the States, there is drinking, and loud music and people until the early morning hours. Fortunately for us we’re not in town and are surrounded by far more cows and dogs than people. And they don’t show any interest in all the revelry.
Kind of reminds me of how we were in high school. My class, the class of 76, were suppose to be full of spirit as we were the graduates of the Bicentennial. But for the most part, we were a bunch of self absorbed and spiritless eighteen year olds just going through the motions. Heck, I didn’t even go through my own graduation ceremony as a protest against it having religious content and the paradox of treating us all as automatons while welcoming us to adulthood. Damned, I sure hope I have some of that old spunk left in me.
Next year I hope I have enough Spanish under my belt to ask these kids how they feel about their Independence Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment