Sunday, May 15, 2016

Kimme: My Translation


It was quite interesting to meet a man and his daughter looking for a missionary with nothing but a name and phone number on a piece of paper.  The man spoke Spanish and handed me the piece of paper and spoke to me quickly as if he thought I could understand what he was saying and know what to do with the paper.  I didn’t want to cut him off and tell him that I could not speak Spanish because I figured that I would be able to catch a couple of words that would make everything clear. I looked over at the daughter who was reading a spiritual book while her father tried to communicate with us.  To me she was probably the person on the quest.  She had read something in the book that had caught her interest and she had talked her father into taking her to visit the American missionaries.   Michael called the number on the paper and found out that the lady that they were looking for was out of town and relayed the information and we were on our way.  The father didn’t seem too disappointed. 
The whole thing reminded me of when I was little and my father an American expat working in Taiwan who in the 20 years that he had done business overseas, had never learned to speak Chinese would patiently take me on long walks/ quests in Taipei city to track down books on subjects that had suddenly captured my interest.  It just warmed my heart that this man was doing the same thing for his daughter.  I believe it is those little quests that show us how to track down the things we want in life even if it means taking the road less traveled.  I am sure this girl was disappointed that the lady that she was looking for was out of town.  But I could tell by the way she was looking at the book in her hand that she had the spirit to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment