Monday, May 16, 2016
Michael: Amusing the Locals
Sprinting, barking and
Baring their teeth are not signs
I see as friendship.
Friday, May 13, 2016
There are a few different hazards here when riding a bicycle than I have encountered in California, but surprisingly many of the same amusing obstacles pop up.
For instance on my ride yesterday I passed a turtle and a snake by the side of the road and slowed to cautiously pass a cow standing in the middle of it. All of these creatures and I have crossed paths in California as well.
The turtle yesterday was a small fist sized dude and was the first one I’ve seen on the road here. Similarly, I only saw one on the road in California. That was quite a bit larger specimen that was an escaped pet I saw on my commute from work.
Here, I’ll occasionally see a tarantula and in California a coyote and I would cross paths now and then. Both I see as wild good omens.
The one hazard here that stands out far and beyond what I ever experienced in the states are dogs. Of course there are dogs in the states, but I never had a problem with one, but while riding here I can just about count on one or two either threatening to come after me or actively pursuing me on every ride. And to say the least, it’s unnerving.
At least for me. For the locals to see me under duress from a dog chasing me seems to be a mildly entertaining diversion. Yesterday for example, when a dog came after me on the main road to Volcan. I thought my adrenaline would give me enough of a boost to out run the dog, but while I lost a bit of steam on the slight uphill run, the dog seemed to be gaining speed and enthusiasm.
Fortunately a small van drove by and startled the dog enough to brake its stride and it turned back. I waved a thanks to the two Panamanians in the van while they laughed in amusement.
Just up the road was a worker carrying a machete who was also having a good old ribald belly chuckle at the impromptu roadside duel/drag race. He said something to me as I rode past that, from his demeanor, I take was suppose to be a light hearted comment about what he saw. I smiled as well, but my heart was feeling anything but light. I’m just grateful I have a strong one, otherwise, I’m going to have a heart attack on one of these rides.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment