Monday, May 30, 2016

Michael: Another One of Those Days


The black winged butterflies
With turquoise decorations
Lie across the road.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Sometimes it’s me. Sometimes it’s the ride. And every once in a while it’s other people and other creatures. Yesterday it was dawn of the living that lifted my spirits and made it a great day to be out there in the saddle.

The road from Cuesta de Piedra to Porterillos is tough, beautiful and very lightly trafficked. You can easily spend an hour on it and only see 5 cars, so when I started to get out of the saddle to crank up the first steep climb, I was surprised when the first car coming toward me slowed to say something to me in Spanish. I have no idea what he said but it ended with the word “amigo” and from his demeanor it seems he was trying to encourage me. That put a smile on my face and made the climb a bit easier.

To top it off, pardon the pun, at the top of the hill was a man enjoying the quiet morning in his wheelchair who gave me a very grand two thumbs up.
Wow, maybe today’s ride isn’t going to be as much of a grind as I felt it was going to be.

Heck, even the cows lying in the field appeared to be giving me the two horns up. Thanks bovines.

On my return home I was fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of a tayra; a weasel like creature that looks like a gigantic jet black pipe cleaner. This one was sprinting across the road and fully outstretched must have been at least 5 ft. long. Haven’t seen one of those buggers in about a year. Anytime I see a wild animal I see it has a sign of good fortune. And this guy I saw pretty up close and personal, so that was pretty cool.

Right as I reached home there were two local riders that gave me some Panamanian whistle that I assume is like the motorcycle peace sign I use to give other riders when I was a brother cyclist in the states. Note to self: figure how to whistle, then learn that whistle so I don’t come across as some nose in the air foreigner.

Even off the bike, as I was walking the dirt road to our casita, the greetings weren’t over as Eduardo, the happiest neighbor on earth, waved good day  as he slowly drove his old blue van by.

Wow, yesterday I had a great ride. Thanks everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment