Thursday, May 26, 2016

Michael: Beauty Isn't in This Eye


Light blue flying twigs
The damsel fly’s silent flight
Is a child’s delight.

Monday, May 23, 2016

What’s the difference between a stye and a chalazia? Heck, I didn’t know, or wanted to know, until about two months ago.

About every 5 years or so I’ll get a pretty adolescent boy cool in a gross kind of way eye infection. If it’s really up to snuff while I sleep it’ll puss enough to seal both of my eyes closed with coagulated puss. Then I have to pry my eyes open by hand. After a few days of crying green oozy tears, my eyes clear up and I’ll return to my usual human form.

About two months ago I saw a slight swelling in my left eye develop and I thought here we go again. But I was wrong. Instead of an infection I was developing a stye that would shortly transform into a chalazia that has just now extinguished itself.

From the google references, a stye is a bacterial infection of an oil gland in the eyelid. It looked like a pimple and I thought it could be popped like one, but google advised against it. Give it a week, I was advised, and it should go away by itself. It did, but for a week I had to live with this third mini white Martian eye sitting on my eye lid. Again, kind of cool in an juvenile boy gross kind of way.

But instead of completely going away it transformed itself into a chalazia, which is simply a blocked oil gland minus the bacterial infection. It was just a small red swelling that really wasn’t very noticeable. That took two months to subside.

Do I prefer the gross but quickly subsiding infection or the smaller but longer lasting stye/chalazia combo?

That’s a toss up that I’ll just let age and my changing body decide for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment