Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Michael: The Ice Cream Suit


The brightest morning
Inevitably gives way
To the coming clouds.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Last week we took our first trip to our storage unit in Dolega to re-organize it. Dolega is much warmer and humid than Volcan and both Kimme and I have materials, like film and books, that aren’t going to last very long there.
Now all of those materials are at the front of the unit so when we can get a truck/cab we can make a relatively quick trip back to load them and bring them to Volcan.

While we were there we did manage to find a few small items we could carry back with us on the bus. I’m not sure what Kimme brought, but I brought back the electrical cord that works with my rowing machine and my ice cream suit.

What’s an ice cream suit?

An ice cream suit is an all white bicycle kit. Mine consist of white bib shorts with bright red trim and a matching sleeveless top.

Why do I have one?

I remember, on one particular training ride with Holger’s group of the L.A. Tri Club, a few of the boys commenting that very few riders can get away with an all white kit. It takes a certain build to carry the look off. Well, I fancied myself as one of those few and quickly went to the net to order my ice cream suit. That was over a good 5 years ago.

Everyone, I imagine, has certain indicators they use to recognize they’re aging. One of my keys is the ice cream suit. Yesterday I put it on for the first time in two years and asked Kimme if it looks like I can still pull the look off. She thinks I can but I feel she’s a little biased.

 I’m going to keep wearing it now and then until I meet a group of riders I catch laughing at me behind my back. Then I’ll retire the ice cream suit and stick to basic black shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment