Sunday, May 15, 2016

Michael: Unexpected Opportunities


The slow drift of clouds
Dampen a feverish earth
With a dull grey cloth.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

When we walk out the door on Wednesdays to head out for our usual trail run, the most Spanish we expect to employ is, “Los Posos,” “Cabanas cerca Hotel Dos Rios,” “Buenos Dias,” “Parada,” and “Gracias.” Yesterday, we were given two pop quizzes and I’d say we passed with C+s on both of them.

Quiz numero uno came when we got off the bus and were walking back up the dirt path to our casita. We saw what appeared to be a father and young adult daughter nicely dressed and carrying a thick book. Uh-oh, could be Jehovah’s. We’ve seen them roam back here from time to time but have always avoided any spiritual discussion by being safely inside our house and behind our shut gate.

Whether they were Jehovah’s or not, they weren’t interested in making converts out of us, but instead wanted to enlist our help in contacting a woman named Cynthia who’s number they had written on a post-it size note. They didn’t speak English and Cynthia didn’t speak much Spanish. They wanted me to call to ask for directions to her house. All they knew was that she lived somewhere between the river and Berard’s, which is a 1 ½ stretch of road.

I made the call. Cynthia’s husband answered and informed me that she was in the states until June and that they lived very close to old Berard‘s. Somehow, even with my severely limited Spanish, I was able to convey this information to the satisfaction of the man and young woman. It was even kind of fun.

Quiz numero dos occurred when Marianne at the sewing school called Kimme to tell her that the sewing machine repairman was in Volcan and could come and set up her machine. We arranged to meet him at two o’clock at Hotel Dos Rios.

Once here I let him and Kimme have at it while I checked e-mail. His English also wasn’t very good. What is it with these people?

Every once in a while Kimme, like a Spiccoli asking another burn-out for a history question answer, would call me in to help translate. But despite our communication difficulties, her machine’s up, and all three of us somehow managed to get through it with smiles on our faces.

Kimme is very excited and wanted him to come back before she leaves to the states in a couple of weeks to set up another machine. I had to explain to her in English and to him in Spanish, that wasn’t very likely as we had to go to Panama City for visa processing. He took her number and hopefully we’ll struggle through our language barriers again in July.

That was a lot more Spanish in a day than I had bargained for and it chewed up all of my siesta time. Today’s bike ride day and my bike is a stout German soldier that refuses to speak back to me in any language no matter what command I give it or curses I throw at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment