Monday, May 23, 2016

Michael: Field Trip Report


Panama City
Is a dirty sweaty boot
That won’t let you up.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Destination: Tribunal Electoral, Ancon, Panama City
Date: Thursday, May 19, 2016

What We Did: We went to the Tribunal Electoral to have our E-Cedulas processed. The building was very modern and quite the opposite of the Immigration Office. We didn’t wait in any lines and were only there from 7 to 8:30 a.m. We can pick our cedulas up at the Tribunal Electoral office in David after May 26th.

What We Saw: This was the second time we’ve been to Panama City this year and on both occasions we’ve had unusual cab experiences. In March right after our cabbie picked us up from the Immigration Office he got a ticket and complained about it for most of our ride to the hotel. I had no idea what he was saying but when he paused I gave an understanding nod and grunt and that seemed to provide the requisite empathy.

This time out, on our way to the hotel from the airport we shared a ride with a lady who lived in…lets say… an older non-renovated part of town. There we were held up in traffic while a young man put up a bit of resistance while being arrested.

What We Learned: This also involves taxis and I really should’ve learned this on previous trips, but taxis don’t use meters here. The rates are negotiable, therefore it’s always best to ask upfront. On our return trip to the airport I didn’t and got bit with a $40 fee that would’ve only cost me $30 had I used the hotel service or even less if I had been smarter and asked up front.

Also I will never attempt to drive in Panama City. Strap in, close your eyes and leave that to the cabbies.

One thing I didn’t learn was why our favorite little eatery changed it’s name from Cozy to Onze. I regret not asking why.

What I liked About the Trip: Panama City is a big sprawling city that I would never want to live in but is fun to visit and people watch and be entertained by the hustle and bustle of a big city.

We were afraid we might miss breakfast again since we had to get to the Tribunal so early but the hotel clerk said they served breakfast at a place down the street, called Monoco’s, at 6. They didn’t, but the server there was kind enough to make us some eggs and toast anyway.

What I Disliked About the Trip: We were hoping to put our feet up Wednesday night and enjoy a good old American movie. But of the few English stations, nothing even mildly interesting was on. One station was still playing some Brad Pitt World War II tank film that we saw bits of in March while we were scanning through the channels during our last stay at this hotel. Nazis, please surrender, you’ve got to be as bored as I am by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment