Sunday, August 28, 2016
Michael: Adios, KIosko Minnesota
Ladybug in size
The glossy black and yellow
Insect clung to me.
Saturday, August 27, 2016
By the time a bike or running route becomes a part of a rotation, you develop certain landmarks that are significant for different reasons. They might signal distance, or a change in terrain or effort needed. Sometimes they just remind you of where you are or what you’ve left behind.
Just about halfway up the road on my ride from Bugaba back to Volcan there is an old shack that had a wooden sign that prominently announced that it was once a business called “Kiosko Minnesota”. From it’s size I’m guessing it was a little fruit stand or snack shop, but really I have no idea as it’s never been opened in our year and a half here. From the looks of it, it was probably abandoned long before that. But today I noticed the sign was taken down.
My mom was born in Minnesota and both my parents were raised there. Our family still has many relatives living there and I’ve always enjoyed visiting them sporadically over the years.
That sign always reminded me how whimsical life is and how strange our ties can be to certain places. Here I am living in Panama with a nice weekly reminder of my family and it’s roots in the states. The shack’s still there, but I do wish they had left the sign up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment