Thursday, August 25, 2016

Michael: No Time Off for Old Men


The dog with a limp
Walks along the muddy street
Drinking from the puddles.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

After tapering into a race and recovering out of it, it’s been three weeks since I’ve been in the gym and done any weight work.

To start our coach had Kimme and I work on the chest and biceps. In order to do the prescribed 4 sets of ten repetitions I had to drop the weight down 20 lbs. from the last time I did these exercises. That has me paranoid about taking too much time off again from strength work. I’m so afraid at this age any time I lose strength it’s going to be extraordinarily difficult if not impossible to get it back.

That brings me to periodization training. I haven’t done the research yet but from my very small sample of one, I believe that as I get older the parabolas of the exercise cycles are going to need to flatten out quite a bit. Either that, or I’m becoming more paranoid.

But I’m also hoping I can hang around long enough to become part of a large sample group that will study the effects of how periodization training should be adapted to the aging athlete. I also realize, just as with any athlete at any age, we’re all individuals and adapt differently to various stimuli, but I’m willing to bet that future studies will show that as we age we shouldn’t ever get away from all the types of exercises and intensities we need to practice to stay healthy, fit and competitive for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment