Friday, August 19, 2016
Michael: My Bike Used Me Again
The three toned whistle
Of the flat black shorebird is
Long, loud and lonely.
Thursday, August 18, 2016
Kimme is watching Youtube videos about natural movement exercises. One of the movements they talk about practicing is a shoulder roll when falling. Without any formal practice, I’m quite proficient at this and have been doing it for as long as I can recall.
Now I’ve seemed to up the ante by incorporating this movement into my bike falls and the beneficiary of this development has been my bicycle. I’ve now had two over the bar crashes in Panama. Both on the same road.
Last year I was tripped up by some workers cutting limbs off a tree. Surprisingly my bike came away with just the tiniest of scratches on the seat. I limped away with a badly bruised foot.
Today, the crash was all on me. I took a turn too fast and went off road. Again, I went over the bars and my bike seemed to have used me as a cushion against any damage. Fortunately the spot was grassy and soft and I walked away pretty much unscathed with just a small scrape on the back of my shoulder and a little tightness in my lower back.
I have mixed feelings about my bike coming out of these possible fiascos better than me. For one, I’m perplexed as to how it’s managed to use me as protection twice now. Yet, I’m also grateful that we’ve escaped from these crashes with neither of us visiting the repair shop.
Not that I believe I’ve in anyway figured out the secret to crashing sans damage. And I have no desire whatsoever to continue this practice, regardless of how proficient I’ve become at it. Leaving the road on a road bike is an adrenaline rush I’ve had enough of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment