Friday, August 5, 2016

Michael: A Great Test Run


The severed cow’s head
Left behind by the poachers
Is a buzzard’s meal.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Today was my last long run before my taper for next Saturday’s 50k so I wanted to give everything a good shake out, including some newbies to the crew, like band aids for nipple guards, some Vaseline like product for anti-chafing protection, Spenco thin insoles mated with my relatively new Hoka ATR Challenger 2s, and shorts with large hand pockets with the right pocket altered with a snap to test if it would ease my anxiety of using open pockets for fear of loosing gear or nutrition.

To begin with I haven’t used nipple guards before nor do I often apply anti-chafing lubricants. But this race is forcing all the participants to wear the shirt they supply so best be prepared. No problem with either one over my 3 1/2 hour run. Though I will say forgetting that you’re wearing flesh toned band aids and getting a glimpse of myself sans nipples before showering was a bit of a “Man Who Fell to Earth” experience.

Similarly, this will be my first race in the Hoka’s and I wanted to see if I could get a better heel fit with the Spenco inserts and the runner’s loop lacing system paired with thin quarter Wright socks. I also wanted to put the ATR2s through some slop and a complete drenching to see how well they’ll hold up if presented those challenges. Check the plus boxes. Shoe set up is good to go. They don’t sell Hokas here in Panama and if the same is true in Costa Rica, I may get a little extra attention at the race as being an extra “special” trail runner.

The shorts’ pocket concern was also alleviated. I put my small first aid kit in the snap pocket and a zip lock bag of cheap cookies in the open pocket. Everything stayed in place, but I do feel more comfortable with the snap being there. Yet it was nice to reach for the cookies without hassling with a snap or a zipper. I wouldn’t be happy if the cookies in their zip lock slipped out, but until I lose something from the open pocket, I’ll leave it that way for convenience’s sake.

Why cookies? Because that’s what’s being provided at the aid stations. I might carry two 5 oz. gel flasks that would allow me to go about 3 hrs. on my own gel concoction, but after that, and since the second half of the race is mostly downhill, I’ll rely on whatever the aid stations have got to give.

Now it’s time to wind down, pack up and get ready for wild ride to Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment