Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Michael: A "B" on My Race Test
A white wave rises
Above the tide of a blue
Cumulus ocean.
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
What a relief it was to finally complete an ultra again. It’s been a few years and I was beginning to doubt I had it in me. Though, even with a surprising 5th place finish, I had enough difficulties to where I can’t be satisfied and would be wise to practice some changes before getting out there and racing again.
Mostly, I was not at all prepared for either the heat or humidity. To better prepare for those conditions in the future there are a few tweaks I plan on implementing in my training. For one, I’m going to go back to a 15 minute drink interval instead of my current 20. Hopefully that’ll allow me to squeeze in a bit more fluids.
Along with the frequency change, I’m going to experiment with adding chia seeds to my gel mix to both aid hydration and to smooth out energy absorption.
I’m also planning on experimenting with either BASE electrolytes or Salt Stick chews regularly during my longer workouts.
I should also slide down the mountain for a few runs in hot and humid Buguba if and when I know I’m going to face similar conditions.
Right now I can gratefully put off planning for the next ultra and think about how pleasant it will be to switch gears and run in the nice cool mountain air in a couple of weeks in a road 12k in nearby Cerro Punta.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment