Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Michael: The Night Before


The humidity
Squeezes the life out of you
Like a tree viper.

Friday, August 5, 2016

This has been the most unusual taper I’ve done coming into a race. Wednesday we traveled in a car all day. Thursday we walked around a mall for half the day. Today, we finally got the opportunity to get out and stretch  our legs by taking a short jog. Sure hope all this laziness will result in energized legs.

An even larger stress was removed this morning when Didier arranged for our taxi to and from the event. We’ll be out the door before 4 a.m. doing our best not to stumble up the steep drive way to the road where we’ll meet Allan, our pirate taxi driver.

At the event I’ll have 6 ½ hours to complete the 50k before Allan returns to pick us up. He’ll bring us back to the B & B where Didier is kindly allowing us to shower before heading out for our multi bus journey to San Vito near the Panamanian border.

Also, pretty close to the last minute, I’ve decided to go with the Inov8 Trailroc 235s as opposed to my Hoka Challengers. Based on speaking to a local runner yesterday and looking at the aid station locations he emailed us, it could get very muddy in the national park the 50k participants will be running through in the middle of the race. We enter the park at the 17.5k mark and exit at 31.5k. That means a possibility of 10 miles of slop and 20 miles of mostly gravel road.

I suppose if I really wanted to shoot for a balanced approach I could wear a Hoka on one foot and an Inov8 on the other. I would be very curious to find out if anyone has ever tried that.

No comments:

Post a Comment