Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Michael: Bailing Out
Bull frog’s rasping croak
In the early morning cold
Is a forest crow.
Monday, October 31, 2016
When I first started hiking and fast packing by myself I thought all I needed was a map, food and water and I was set. That actually worked for a number of years and many trips until my stupidity kicked me in the ass and joyfully heckled me with, “Oh yeah?, what are you gonna do now, tough guy?”.
That question rang out loud in my head the day I tripped crossing a stream and broke the bone in my hand right below my little finger on the John Muir Trail. The doctor, several days later, asked if I had punched something because that’s a common way to break that bone. It’s often referred to as a boxer’s break. In a way, I suppose I did accidentally punch something. I punched a rock at the bottom of a very shallow creek.
That’s when I realized it might be very difficult to complete my hike as planned. Maybe I should take a look at my map and see if there was a shorter way out. That’s called a bailout plan and something I’d never thought about before.
Fortunately, on that trip, I was able to get out the next day and get home to get my hand taken care of.
Now, I’ve wised up a little and don’t head out without looking at my options in case I get sick or injured, I get lost, I’m not hitting my target times and I have reservations for a shuttle, campsite or hotel. I’m sure there are other concerns that make it a smart idea to figure out ways to bail in case unexpected obstacles show up on a trip. That doesn’t mean going out alone shouldn’t be done, just that a few extra pre-cautions and a decent bailout plan should be a part of every trip checklist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment