Another morning
Where the air is warm and calm
And I am restless.
Wednesday, November 2, 2106
Dia de La Muerte in Panama is a much more somber occasion than it is in the States or Mexico. There are no festive clothing, displays or candles. It’s simply a time to take flowers to dead relatives or loved ones graves and remember what kind of people they were and how grateful you are that they were a part of your life.
Oddly, this thoughtfulness and appreciation of life seems to have either a negligible or even detrimental effect on Panamanians as they drive to their dearly departed grave sites. On our bus ride to our weekly run we saw several small cars pass our bus going uphill around blind corners. They seem to have much more faith in a resplendent after life than I do, and seem a little to anxious to be nearer to the dead than I’m comfortable with.
No comments:
Post a Comment