Sunday, November 20, 2016

Michael: Responding to Trump


The bold crimson veins
Coursing through the white lily
Draw the insects in.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Once I came out of my stupor and realized all was not lost (yet), I came across a very interesting article written by Nicholas Kristol entitled, “A 12 Step Program to Respond to Trump’s Presidency”. The article list many progressive and positive ways to both think and act to insure we continue to move forward as a country.

I won’t go through all of the article, it’s really very concise and well worth the read, I’ll just touch on a few highlights that tickled my fancy.

The one suggestion that I immediately took action on was to purchase and eat a Chobani yogurt. The owner apparently employs refugees. I’d gone off yogurt for a while, but really didn’t need much of a nudge to go back, particularly if Romero’s in Volcan has blueberry in stock.

Being a former teacher, Nichol’s mentioning volunteering or donating to educational programs caught my eye. He mentions programs that serve on opposite ends of the educational ladder; Reach Out and Read and iMentor. Reach Out and Read is a program that encourages parents, through their pediatrician, to read aloud to their children. IMentor is a program that pairs a low income high school student with a college educated mentor to assist the student for three years to get that student into college.

I was hoping to volunteer to be a mentor through iMentor but the program requires monthly in-person meetings, and from Panama that’s not going to happen. I will definitely keep it in mind though when we return to the states.

I guess, for now, that means I’ll have to go with the cash donation option to these programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment