Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Michael: Even by Volcan Standards


Climb the jagged edge
With tree roots as rails to pull
Yourself to the top.

Saturday, April 6, 2016

This has been an unusual week so far. Monday - water outage; Thursday - power outage; and Friday afternoon and continuing through this early Saturday, another water outage. Usually the power outages last a few minutes at the most and the water outages maybe a few hours. This is the first time in the year and a half that we’ve lived here I let dirty dishes sit overnight in the sink.

Still, we are a little better off than most of our Panamanians neighbors. Because our cottage was built for an American, it has an auxiliary pressure  pump. This pump is fed by a very large plastic drum that holds 40 gallons of water (I’m making that number up. It’s large, but capacity isn’t a forte of mine.). We don’t use it very often, usually the water pressure is adequate, and the electric pump is annoying. It sounds like an amped up cricket.

Once the water’s back up and running, I’m going to have to ask our landlord what she and other Panamanians do when they run out of water for an extended period of time. She has three other adults living with her, and the neighbor behind us has at least two young adult males living with her. Do they just wait it out? Fetch water from a stream? Have a spare drum on hand?  Buy bottled water from the store? I really have no idea, but we’re all humans with human water needs. If and when our water runs out I’m thinking the store will be our best option, but maybe my eyes are closed to simpler and more obvious solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment